- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons fresh coffee (finely ground)
- 1 cup soft brown sugar (light)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 fl.oz very hot water
- Take the finely ground coffee and pour the water onto it then let it stand for about 10 mins.
- You then need to remove the coffee grounds so strain the mixture. In a heatproof bowl mix together the sugar and egg yolks, then whisk until thick and pale. Whisk in the milk and the coffee, then put the bowl over a saucepan of simmering (though not boiling) water.
- Cook until the mixture is thick (ie. until it forms a layer on the back of a wooden spoon) being sure to stir it all the time. Take the saucepan off the heat and place the bowl to one side to cool
- If you want to prevent a skin forming on the mixture you can try covering the surface with a piece of damp, greaseproof paper.
- When cool, transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.