- 1 1/2 lbs Beef round steak
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 large Onion, finely sliced
- 4 Whole cloves
- 4 Green cardamom pods, bruised
- 3 Green chiles, seeded, finely-chopped
- 2 Dry red chiles, seeded-crushed
- 1 Inch piece fresh gingerroot-grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
- 2 teasp Ground coriander
- 2 teasp Ground turmeric
- 4 tbsp Water
- 4 tbsp Tamarind nectar
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cut beef into 1-ich cubes.
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan, add beef and cook until browned all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, cloves and cardamom to pan; cook, stirring, about 8 minutes, until onion is soft and golden brown.
- Stir in chiles, gingerroot, garlice, corinder and turmeric; cook 2 minutes.
- Return beef to pan, add water and cover.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in tamarind nectar and salt; simmer another 20 to 30 minutes, until beef is tender.
- Serve, garnished with lettuce leaves.
- Serves Note: tamarind nectar: soak a walnut-sized piece of tamarind paste in one cup boiling water about 20 minutes, then squeeze in cheesecloth to extract liquid; discard pulp.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Tamarind nectar is also available commercially