- Boiled rice – Puzhungal Arisi – 4 cups (heaped)
- Black gram – Uzhundhu – 1 cup (heaped) (dehu, whole)
- Rock salt – 3 tsp (heaped)
- Soak dhal together and rice separately for 3 hours.Grind dhal till smooth and frothy with minimum water.Grind rice to fine consistency.
- Before removing from grinder mix salt and ground dhal to the rice mixture well.Keep in a large container, so that there is enough space for the batter to ferment and raise.
- Grind the batter previous day itself so that the batter is fermented for atleast 8 to 10 hours.
- Next day morning mix the batter well and pour in a prepared idli pan with cloth and steam cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Alternatively pour in greased idli plates and steam for 7 to 8 minutes in pressure cooker.