- 1/2 kg of tuna, including bones and head well cleaned and prepared
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 hot chillies, or depending how spicy you like your dish
- 10 pieces of baby shallots, keep a few shallots aside for frying
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 green mango cut into chunks
- 2 drumsticks cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- a few curry leaves
- 1/2 a teaspoon of mustard seeds
- salt, as needed
- Put the grated coconut, chillies, shallots, ginger, garlic and the tumeric powder along with 1/2 a cup of water and blend once.
- Put this mixture in a heavy bottomed pan along with the mango and drumsticks, add a cup more of water and cook until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the fish and season with salt cover and cook till the fish is cooked,.
- Heat in a pan some oil put the mustard seeds and the curry leaves and shallots and fry until slightly brown and add to the avial.
- heck the seasonings and add more salt according to your taste