Legiyam is medicated syrups that are thick and soothing enough to relieve sore throats or loosen a cough and also helps for digestion.
Diwali, the festival of lights, is always accompanied by an abundance of sweets. Whether it’s from your aunts and uncles from the neighbourhood who visit your house on the special day or the homes of friends where you hang out on that day, you will be flooded with homemade jalebis, mysurpas, athirasams and murukku varieties.
Irrespective of whether you are a fitness freak or calorie-conscious person, abuse of the stomach is the order of the day.
Here comes to your rescue the Diwali legiyam, a concoction which helps cure indigestion. In some households, it is a must to swallow this legiyam first thing in the morning on the day of Diwali. A mix made of dry ginger, athimathuram, valmulaku, omam, patta, sombu, elaichi and jaggery, this legiyam helps to prevent and cure indigestion.
- Siddharatha- 10g
- Long Pepper -10g
- Omam or Carom Seeds -100g
- Bark Cinnamon– 2 gms
- Poppy seeds — one spoon
- Fennel Seeds — 2gms
- Clove — 2pieces
- Pepper — 50 grams
- Cumin seeds –2 gms
- Ginger — -10g
- Orange — 1 (juice)
- Ghee — 100gm
- Gingerly oil (sesame oil) — 4 tsp
- Honey — 1 ladle full
- Jaggery — 250 Gms
- Cardamom – 5g
- Pound the hard ingredients and dry them in the sun with the other items. Heat the pan and fry the items one by one to golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind them to powder in a Mixie (blender)and sieve the flour. Store the flour in an air tight container.
Wash the Ginger nicely, grind it using one ladle of water and make juice out of it.
- Make juice out of the Orange and filter it. Pour both the Ginger juice and Orange juice into the pan. Powder the jaggery and add it to the juice mixture. Heat the mixture.
- Do not add water. Once the jaggery dissolves, filter it to remove the dirt. Wash the pan, pour the mixture again and boil it for 2 minutes. Then add the prepared flour slowly and when it becomes like a gravy, stop adding the flour.
- Add Ghee and sesame oil. Cook on a medium flame.
Touch and see, if non-sticky remove from fire and add honey.
- Stir well. Cool the mixture.
- Store in a bottle or a container.